Why Should I Backup?
If you save information in Planning Toolkit by client, you should back up the client data files at least once a week. The frequency of your backups should be proportional to the amount of data you can afford to lose.
Click here to view an infographic on the basics of backing up.
Here are three ways you can backup your files.
1. Cloud Backup
Backing up data to the cloud means you’re backing up data to a hard drive in a secure data centre via your Internet connection, instead of just to a hard drive or flash drive in your office. You can use one of the many online backup services to backup your client files. Simply add the “Data” folder located inside the “C:\Program Files (x86)\Planning Toolkit 9″ folder to the list of files that you schedule in your regular online backup.
Click here for a review of cloud backup services from PC Magazine.
2. Network Backup
Another way to back up your client database is to store the database on a server or computer in your office that is backed up automatically every day.
To move the database to another location:
- Copy the “PlanningToolkit.mdb” file (located in the C:\Program Files\Planning Toolkit 9\Data\ directory) to a location on the network server (ie/ F:\Shared Files\Client Files\PlanningToolkit.mdb).
- Launch Planning Toolkit.
- Click the Utilities button on the Main Menu screen and click the Path button in the Database Storage Location section.
- Locate and select the “PlanningToolkit.mdb” in the “F:\Shared Files\Client Files\PlanningToolkit.mdb” directory on the network.
- Click the Open button after selecting the PlanningToolkit.mdb file.
- Click Done at the bottom of the Utilities window.
- You will be asked if you want to connect to the new Planning Toolkit Ver. 9 database? Click Yes if you do or click Cancel if you don’t.
3. Manual Backup
A third way is to manually backup your client files in Planning Toolkit to a flash drive in your office.
Follow the steps below to do a manual backup.
1. Click Backup on the Main Menu screen.
2. Select Back up
3. Click the folder icon
4. Select the name of the folder or Flash drive where you want to store your files.
5. Click the Backup button.
6. Click OK after the backup has been completed.
7. Click Close to finish your backup.