Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the difference between Planning Toolkit and Concept Toolkit?
Planning Toolkit is a financial needs analysis tool that lets you create full financial plans for clients. Concept Toolkit is a quick calculator and concept illustration tool. Concept Toolkit can be used to complement and enhance your full financial planning software reports. It’s also a great time saver when you need to do a quick calculation for a client or prospect but a full financial plan is not required.
Compare the software and learn which one is right for you >>
How do I backup my client file database?
The frequency of your backups should be proportional to the amount of data you can afford to lose.
Click here for detailed instructions on how to perform a backup with Planning Toolkit.
1. Manual Backup
To manually backup the client file database, Click the Utilities button on the Main Menu screen, click the Backup button and then select Backup or Restore to bring up the Backup Utilities window. Select the backup drive and directory and then click the Backup or Restore button. To exit the Backup Utilities window, click the Close button. To exit the Utilities window, click the Done button.
2. Network Backup
Another way to back up your client database is to store the database on a server or computer in your office that is backed up automatically every day. See the topic below (Can I use Planning Toolkit on a network?) on how to put the cient database file (“PlanningToolkit.mdb” ) on a server.
3. Online or Remote Backup
Online backup, also known as remote backup, is a method of offsite data storage in which files, folders, or the entire contents of a hard drive are regularly backed up on a remote server or computer with a network connection. You can use one of the many online backup services to backup your client files. Simply add the “Data” folder located inside the “C:\Program Files (x86)\Planning Toolkit 9” folder to the list of files that you schedule in your regular online backup.
Can I use Planning Toolkit on a network?
More than one user can share the same Planning Toolkit database over a network. This allows your financial planning team to be more productive. For example, you can have your assistant key in the information for a financial plan at his/her own computer. You can then open the same file from your own computer to review the plan and make any changes or adjustments.
Only one user can access the database at the same time. Multiple users can access the database provided they do so one at a time.
To share the same database over a network:
- Install Planning Toolkit on one computer.
- Install Planning Toolkit on a second computer.
- Copy the “PlanningToolkit.mdb” file (located in the C:\Program Files\Planning Toolkit 8\Data\ directory) to a location on the network server (ie/ F:\Shared Files\Client Files\PlanningToolkit.mdb). It doesn’t matter which computer you use to copy the file from.
- Launch Planning Toolkit on the first computer.
- Click the Utilities button on the Main Menu screen and click the Path button in the Database Storage Location section.
- Locate and select the “PlanningToolkit.mdb” in the “F:\Shared Files\Client Files\PlanningToolkit.mdb” directory on the network.
- Click the Open button after selecting the PlanningToolkit.mdb file.
- Click Done at the bottom of the Utilities window.
- You will be asked if you want to connect to the new Planning Toolkit Ver. 8 database? Click Yes if you do or click Cancel if you don’t.
- Repeat Steps 5 – 10 for the second computer.
Why can’t I access the spouse’s fields in some modules?
Make sure that the Client/Spouse box is checked in the 2. Select Type of Plan section on the Main Menu screen AND make sure that “Married” or “Common-law” is selected as the Marital Status of the Client on the Identificaiton data entry screen of the Personal Data module.
How do I change my title, company name and CPP and OAS benefit information?
Click on the Settings button at the bottom of the Main Menu screen of Planning Toolkit.
Why doesn’t Planning Toolkit fill up my computer’s entire screen?
Planning Toolkit is designed to fill up the entire screen for monitor resolution settings of 800 x 600 only. The only way open the program in full screen is to reduce your monitor’s resolution to 800 x 600. When you are done using Planning Toolkit in full screen mode, you will need to change your monitor’s resolution back to it’s original setting. To make the Planning Toolkit screen appear larger without taking up the entire screen, change your monitor’s resolution to a size larger than 800 x 600 but smaller than the existing setting.
Can I print out blank forms or a fact finding questionnaire?
You can print blank entry forms to assist you in entering data for all modules. The blank entry forms mimic the entry screens to let you and your staff streamline the data entry process. Click on the Print Forms button at the bottom of the Main Menu screen of Planning Toolkit.
Can I create a quick financial plan with 4 modules only?
Yes. For example, if you want to create a financial plan with the Cover Page, Disclaimer, Net Worth and Retirement modules only, follow these steps:
- First, create a template of the quick plan. On the Main Menu screen, create a new client with this name, Quick Plan. Check the four modules that you want to include in your financial plan using the checkboxes next to the modules name on the right hand side of the Main Menu screen and uncheck those you don’t want to use.
- To use the template with a client, go into the Clients window, select the previously saved Quick Plan client and use the Save As button to save it under the current client’s name. You can use Save As to create financial plan templates that you can use over and over again without having to select modules and enter the same data each time.
- Enter the required information in the Personal Data module and then proceed to enter the required data in the remaining modules.
How do I preview the printed output for a module?
To preview a single report such as Retirement, click the Preview button located between the Save and Print buttons along the row of buttons at the bottom of the data entry screen for the Retirement module.
To preview the entire plan, you can export the plan to a PDF file and view it.
- Click Print Plan on the Main Menu screen
- Click Print on the Print Plan window
- On the Print or Export popup window:
- Click the radio button next to Export Plan to PDF Files
- Check the Merge to One PDF File box and then click OK
- In the Select Directory window, you can accept the default location where the PDF file will be stored or choose your own folder.
C:\Program Files\Planning Toolkit 8\Plan PDF Files\Smith John
Locate the folder where you saved the PDF file, then double-click on the file name to open it.
How do I add another row of entry fields in the Net Worth and Asset Allocation modules?
Press the Tab or Enter key after completing your entries for a row to create a new blank row.
How do I delete a row of entry fields in the Net Worth and Asset Allocation modules?
Right click on any part of the row that you want to delete. Click the Delete button that pops up to delete the row.
Didn’t find what you are looking for?
Registered users of Concept Toolkit and Planning Toolkit can contact us for technical support by:
- Calling 905-648-3221 between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm EST.
- Email us